Thursday, 15 October 2015

Raymond's Run Word list 1


Signify: Denote (to draw attention for something or show what it means) or connote (your body language can connote how you feel without saying it).
Word found: '“I don’t think you’re going to win this time,” says Rosie, trying to signify with her hands on her hips all salty, completely forgetting that I have whupped her behind many times for less salt than that'
Synonym: Mean or imply
Personal sentence: At midnight sharp, the watchtowers signify that it is safe to land on the rough airstrip.

Prefer: Like better; value more highly.
Word found: 'I’m ready to fight, cause like I said I don’t feature a whole lot of chit-chat, I much prefer to just knock you down right from the jump and save everybody a lotta precious time.'
Synonym: : To like (someone or something) better than someone or something else
Personal sentence: As James walked forward to the cave, he decided he would much prefer to be at home watching television and eating crisps.

Hustle: Move or cause to move energetically or busily.
Word found: 'And I don’t have to earn my pocket money by hustling; George runs errands for the big boys and sells Christmas cards.'
Synonym: Jostle or Shove
Personal sentence: When Jeff was at sziget he had to hustle to get past the crowds.

Periscope: An instrument providing a view of an obstructed field.
Word found: 'He looks around the park for Gretchen like a periscope in a submarine movie.'
Synonym: None.
Personal sentence: In the murky sea, the submariners had no other option but to raise the periscope, and view the enemy vessel.

Glockenspiel(s): A percussion instrument consisting of a set of metal bars.
Word found: Most of the kids in my class are carrying bass drums and glockenspiels.
Synonym: None
Personal sentence: The glockenspiels in the group, rang out to give the warning they were coming and they were going to win.

Static: Not in physical motion.
Word found: '"In first place ..." the man on the loudspeaker is clear as a bell now. But then he pauses and the loudspeaker starts to whine. Then Static.
Synonym: Stationary
Personal sentence: When the 'thing' crawled into the room, the lights smashed and the television went static, when I went close to the screen it smashed outwards, my eyes were useless they were agony and they bled.

Rowdy: Disturbing the peace, being loud.
Word found: The parkees unfolding chairs and chasing the rowdy kids from Lenox as if they had no right to be there.
Synonym: Boisterous.
Personal sentence: The rowdy kids from Essex were causing destruction in every city in their path.

Slosh: Spill or splash copiously or clumsily.
Word found: And sometimes after a rain he likes to step down off his tightrope right into the gutter and slosh around getting his shoes and cuffs wet.
Synonym: Splash.
Personal sentence: As the school kids come up the flooded road, they slosh muddy water onto my bluebells and daffodils.

Uptight: Being in a tense state.
Word found: I’ll high-prance down 34th Street like a rodeo pony to keep my knees strong even if it does get my mother uptight so that she walks ahead like she’s not with me, don’t know me, is all by herself on a shopping trip, and I am somebody else’s crazy child.
Synonym: Stressed.
Personal sentence: As I'm planting my bluebells and daffodils, I get really uptight about people coming near them even at ten feet!

(Not all in right order!)




No comments:

Post a Comment